From: JohnDoe on
mainframetech wrote:
>
> Welp, you see, one of the things that stand out to me is that this
> forum is called "misc.health.alternative". That gives me and probably
> other folks the idea that here we might hear about and discuss
> ALTERNATIVE health solutions. That's 'discuss', not argue or insult,
> or pick little logical nits about.

I see that for you 'discuss' equals 'reinforce each others silly ideas
and delusions, no matter how much evidence disproves it'. If you want to
hang out with sycophants, there are plenty mailinglists for that. Usenet
is open to all.

> The folks that I spoke of so
> harshly all seem to berate almost all alternative' treatments, and
> seem to swear by anything any med. community follower says. It's
> things like that that give the impression that some folks are being
> paid by the big drug companies to tout their products and put down the
> competition, like supplements, etc.

Well, maybe you can tell me where to pick up my paycheck? And you seem
to be swallowing PeterB's nonsense. That's like the definition of
gullible. Come to think of that, I have some friends from Nigeria that
can make you rich. Interested?

> How do they get away from such a
> low esteem position in other people's eyes? I guess they have little
> choice. Keep doing it hoping to somehow wrest victory from the slime,
> or convince someone somewhere that big pharma is the way to go.
>
> Chris
>
>
From: Mark Probert on
mainframetech wrote:
>
> Welp, you see, one of the things that stand out to me is that this
> forum is called "misc.health.alternative".

Old Chinese Proverb: You cannot judge a book by its cover.

That gives me and probably
> other folks the idea that here we might hear about and discuss
> ALTERNATIVE health solutions. That's 'discuss', not argue or insult,
> or pick little logical nits about.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the Alties keep promoting things that are either
inherently dangerous, or so ineffective in life threatening
circumstances that when they are challenged, they make up words, e.g.
pharmablogger, to marginalize those who disagree, etc. If the alties
kept to logic dusted with RealScience it would not be so bad.

The folks that I spoke of so
> harshly all seem to berate almost all alternative' treatments, and
> seem to swear by anything any med. community follower says.

Berate? You mean call into question safety and efficacy. Those are valid
concerns and discussing them in this newsgroup is appropriate. Unless,
of course, you believe that this newsgroup should be populated solely by
an a-men chorus.

It's
> things like that that give the impression that some folks are being
> paid by the big drug companies to tout their products and put down the
> competition, like supplements, etc.

Tout products? Do you care to show where there has been touting of any
specific mainstream products? I'll be patient and give you the rest of
the year to find some of this touting. Now, be SPECIFIC. Name brands.

How do they get away from such a
> low esteem position in other people's eyes?

So, you believe that questioning alt claims is low esteem? Not in my
eyes. Not in any intelligent persons eyes. Or mind for that matter.

I guess they have little
> choice. Keep doing it hoping to somehow wrest victory from the slime,

True, some who tout alt meds are slime.

> or convince someone somewhere that big pharma is the way to go.

In many situations it is the way to go.


From: mainframetech on

>Agreed. Unfortunately, the Alties keep promoting things that are either
>inherently dangerous, or so ineffective in life threatening
>circumstances that when they are challenged, they make up words, e.g.
>pharmablogger, to marginalize those who disagree, etc. If the alties
>kept to logic dusted with RealScience it would not be so bad.

LOL! I just KNEW that you were a caring, warm and fuzzy kind of
person to look out for all those poor folks getting scammed by them
alternative treatments. And it's so good to see you complain about
made up words like "anti-vac liars" and stuff like that.

Chris :)

From: Mark Probert on
mainframetech wrote:
>> Agreed. Unfortunately, the Alties keep promoting things that are either
>> inherently dangerous, or so ineffective in life threatening
>> circumstances that when they are challenged, they make up words, e.g.
>> pharmablogger, to marginalize those who disagree, etc. If the alties
>> kept to logic dusted with RealScience it would not be so bad.
>
> LOL! I just KNEW that you were a caring, warm and fuzzy kind of
> person to look out for all those poor folks getting scammed by them
> alternative treatments.

As I should. My family has been a victim of the scams.

And it's so good to see you complain about
> made up words like "anti-vac liars" and stuff like that.

LOL to your heart's content. I call them as I see them, and there are
anti-vac liars.

And, of course, you have swallowed the pharmablogger nonsense, hook,
line and sinker.


From: Peter Bowditch on
"mainframetech" <choughton(a)insidefsi.net> wrote:

>
>>Agreed. Unfortunately, the Alties keep promoting things that are either
>>inherently dangerous, or so ineffective in life threatening
>>circumstances that when they are challenged, they make up words, e.g.
>>pharmablogger, to marginalize those who disagree, etc. If the alties
>>kept to logic dusted with RealScience it would not be so bad.
>
> LOL! I just KNEW that you were a caring, warm and fuzzy kind of
>person to look out for all those poor folks getting scammed by them
>alternative treatments. And it's so good to see you complain about
>made up words like "anti-vac liars" and stuff like that.

The expression is "anti-vaccination liars", and if you are going to
reject any compound words that you haven't heard of before by deriding
them as "made up" then you are going to have a lot of trouble
understanding what others are saying.

>
>Chris :)
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
The Millenium Project http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
Australian Council Against Health Fraud http://www.acahf.org.au
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: ~ * The Animal Rescue
Next: Sodium Benzoate