From: vivekvp on
Hello,

An acorn is a nut - right?

Is there any danger of drinking wines used in Oak Barrels?

Thanks,

V

From: Jack Campin - bogus address on
> An acorn is a nut - right?
> Is there any danger of drinking wines used in Oak Barrels?

The allergy is to the nut flesh, not the whole tree. It's unlikely
there'll be any problem.

Some people (me included) have a non-allergic intolerance to tannins.
The oak barrel will add a small amount of tannin to the wine, but red
wine already has plenty of tannin anyway.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk ==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660 4760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739 557
From: shortergirl06 on
But if you _are_ allergic to the whole tree, and the representative
food allergies, is the wine now unsafe? How does one tell how it's age?


Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
> > An acorn is a nut - right?
> > Is there any danger of drinking wines used in Oak Barrels?
>
> The allergy is to the nut flesh, not the whole tree. It's unlikely
> there'll be any problem.
>
> Some people (me included) have a non-allergic intolerance to tannins.
> The oak barrel will add a small amount of tannin to the wine, but red
> wine already has plenty of tannin anyway.
>
> ============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk ==============
> Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660 4760
> <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
> stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739 557

From: Jack Campin - bogus address on
>>> An acorn is a nut - right?
>>> Is there any danger of drinking wines used in Oak Barrels?
>> The allergy is to the nut flesh, not the whole tree. It's unlikely
>> there'll be any problem.
>> Some people (me included) have a non-allergic intolerance to tannins.
>> The oak barrel will add a small amount of tannin to the wine, but red
> > wine already has plenty of tannin anyway.
> But if you _are_ allergic to the whole tree, and the representative
> food allergies, is the wine now unsafe? How does one tell how it's age?

Do you know of any real case of such an allergy, ever?

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk ==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660 4760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739 557
From: shortergirl06 on
No, I suppose not, but then again, I'm the only person I know that is
allergic to Apples, carrots and celery.