From: J on 21 Nov 2008 07:02
> Pay attention to what your kids are doing.
> Boy, 12, dies from heart failure after using too much deodorant
> A 12-year-old boy's heart failed after he used too much Lynx Vice
> deodorant, an inquest heard.
> Last Updated: 1:50PM GMT 20 Nov 2008
> Daniel Hurley, from Sandiacre, Derbyshire, was found collapsed in his
> bathroom by his father Robert Hurley after using the deodorant, a coroner
> was told.
> Derby Coroner's Court heard that use of the spray in a confined space led
> to Daniel suffering a cardiac arrhythmia.
> Mr Hurley tried to revive his son but he died at the Queen's Medical
> Centre in Nottingham on January 12, five days after he was found.
> Mr Hurley told the inquest: "He was always putting gel on his hair and
> spraying deodorant and it was quite common for him to spray his clothing
> as well.
> "The bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen and I made some tea and shouted
> into the bathroom to see if he was OK.
> "I heard nothing so I shouted again but did not get a reply. I forced the
> door open and found Daniel in the bath."
> Consultant pathologist Dr Andrew Hitchcock, who carried out the post
> mortem examination on Daniel, told the inquest yesterday that there was no
> evidence he had abused alcohol or drugs.
> Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner Dr Robert Hunter recorded a verdict of
> accidental death.
> Dr Hunter said he was satisfied that Unilever, which manufactures the Lynx
> brand, provided enough warning on its cans that excessive amounts of the
> deodorant should not be used in a confined space.
> He said: "It seems the presence of a volatile agent caused the cardiac
> arrhythmia. Daniel copiously used deodorant in the bathroom.
> "I do not know how many people read the warnings about exposure awareness.
> But people need to know about the risks that these products have on the
> cardio-vascular system."
Prev: Dr. William Rea in the News and on Nightline Tonight
Next: Fire safety for air fresheners